Reasons to Join BATS/VMBA
Please consider becoming a member of BATS by becoming a yearly chapter member of the Vermont Mountain Bike Association (VMBA). By selecting BATS as your chapter, BATS receives a portion of your membership dues (and much more, see below). Your BATS membership will help VMBA continue to advocate for and support trail networks (bike and multi-use in our case) throughout the great state of Vermont.
Learn more about joining or renewing your VMBA Membership.
When you join BATS you will also receive a Vermont Mountain Bike Association (VMBA) membership packet with ever growing benefits including:
- Trail & downhill bike passes and skiing vouchers around Vermont
- Oodles of merchandise and food discounts throughout Vermont
- (Note: We are working on getting local discounts on the VMBA coupon list as well as exclusively for BATS members- if you are a business that wishes to offer something to BATS/VMBA Members, please contact us!)
- Opportunity to join other VT Chapters for 1/2 price on the VMBA website
- The opportunity to help US create the Bennington we envision
- A BATS t-shirt!
- Trail building & stewardship/maintenance experience & and sense of community (and lots of high fives)
Q: I don’t bike, but use the BATS trails. Why would I want to join a mountain bike organization like the Vermont Mountain Bike Association?
A: BATS is a chapter of VMBA. They provide our club with trail grants and a portion of membership fees. These funds help us build and maintain trails, trailhead interpretive signage, and trail signage, as well as access to volunteer liability insurance (big deal), landowner access agreement support, and so much more. They most importantly advocate for sustainable trail development in the state of Vermont, which is something we support 100%. Currently, we don’t offer just a “BATS Membership” so either becoming a VMBA Member and selecting BATS as your chapter, donating directly to BATS, or coming to help on a volunteer work day or event is the best way to contribute to BATS.
Q: What if I don’t want to join VMBA? How can I help?
A: There are many ways. Consider:
- Volunteering at a trail work day or two, adopt a section of trail, or work with another maintainer
- Donate material or skills (currently seeking donations for a trail kiosk, signage, and a kids’ pump track)
- Lead a walk/hike/bike (contact us for brainstorming)
- Donate directly to the club (email batsvt @ gmail.com ) to find out more about directly donating or mail a check made out to “Bennington Area Trail System to, 424 Dewey Street, Bennington, VT 05201
- Spread the word about BATS to your friends
- Take photos of the trails and yourself and others recreating for us to share on the website or social media- Make sure to tag #batsvt or email/FB message us your photos
- Be a good steward and pick up trash (and pick up after your dog), and not go out when the trails are wet or muddy (know before you go by staying updated on our homepage which shows trail conditions
- Use existing trails and do not make new ones (that’s why you need to join us to learn more about possible new trails in the works) .
- We need your help, skills, and enthusiasm to make the trails (old and new) on Mt. Anthony and beyond the best they’ve ever been (so please join VMBA and choose BATS as your home chapter)!